Wednesday, October 11, 2006

My 100th Post


Seems a suitable occasion to look back. So here's 10 things I've learned since I started blogging:

1. Russell Davies is a lot smarter than the rest of us.

2. Writing a blog 'proves' you are up-to-speed on the modern world. When I went for a job interview at an agency in San Francisco, they were as interested in this blog as they were in my reel.

3. Don't publish photos of people doing things that are illegal or semi-legal. They don't seem to like it...

4. For some reason, creatives don't blog (the only others I know of are the excellent Copyranter and American Copywriter. (If you are a creative who blogs, let me know).

5. Just as it is on e-mail, irony is very hard to express in a blog. Steve Hall of AdRants pulls it off. Copyranter pulls it off. And that's it.

6. Writing a blog takes up quite a bit of time.

7. Learning some HTML hasn't killed me. Though it did take quite a bit of time...

8. Ideas have become truly global. This makes a creative's job much harder, since now you've got to come up with things that have never been done before anywhere in the world, not just your own country.

9. A cameraphone is a blogger's best friend (belated new friend, in my case)

10. The lag between a funny clip appearing on YouTube and the idea being released as an ad is now down to just a few days. (See the latest H3 work below.) Sigh.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spooky,
I just came to the same conclusion about creatives myself on your previous post and as a wannabe creative I was quite surprised.

copyranter said...

jeez. blushing over here across the Atlantic.

congrats on 100.

copyranter said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
lazbash said...

As a wannabe be creative I am trying to create a blog. Learning as I go along.
Check it out: http://www.dressedinthedark.co.uk/whatamidoing
Hope you like!

Anonymous said...

I'm a wannabe too, started my blog today, we can all keep each other company ;)

Scamp said...

Creatives in the house!


Now all we need is a producer to pay for lunch...

russell@russelldavies.com said...

bless you. congrats on 100. another coffee sometime? especially as you're now in London's fashionable West End.

Stan Lee said...

Bloody planners even have their own Photo Group on Flickr. I'm a copywriter and I've managed to infiltrate it. Come and join me young Scamp.

Stan Lee said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sean said...

I'm hoping that I count as a creative that blogs.

Northern Planner said...

Keep going Scamp, you're blog's great. Funny, witty and very useful for non-creatives to see how the men in black think.
Would love to grab and coffee next time I'm London.
You're far busier and important than me, but if you've got the time..

FishNChimps said...

Well done Scamp. Your blog's full of humour and lets in a chink of revelatory light into the dark mind of the ad creative... 10/10

American Copywriter said...

Thanks Scamp. And congrats on 100.

patrick syms said...

A couple of late entrants for (aspiring) creatives what blog:

Martin Macallister

http://www.niazipan.com/index.html

and Ollie & Janson

http://adsareboring.blogspot.com/