Friday, October 27, 2006

Are You Responsible?


I was speaking to an old college friend yesterday who is one of the creative directors at WCRS and commiserated with him about the 3 review.

He told me it wasn't true!

He said the client is perfectly happy.

And to think I read it on the front page of Marketing magazine. I suppose journalists make things up all the time.

And why not? There's no come-back. The worst that's going to happen is they have to print a letter denying the story.

This set me thinking... how much responsibility do we ad-folk have to take for our cock-ups?

Traffic / Project Management: responsibility score out of ten - 10
If an ad doesn't get delivered on time, or is printed upside down, or all-yellow, there's no one else to hide behind. The project manager has screwed up, and is probably going to get shouted at. They're aware of this, which is why they all drink at lunchtime.

Account Handlers: responsibility score out of ten - 8
If an account walks out the door, it's the account handlers' fault. If a script doesn't get sold, it's their fault. Stuff not delivered on time? Their fault. Agency not making money? Their fault. Client not happy? Their fault. Actually, this score would be a lot higher, but they do have one get-out of jail card they can use. "Well, the work wasn't right."

Creatives: 3
Not much seems to be our fault, luckily. The only time the finger gets pointed is when we come out with a real turkey. Even then, you can normally blame bad clients, bad briefs, bad weather...

Planers: 1
Let's face it, if something goes wrong, you ain't going to see the planner for dust.

12 comments:

Stan Lee said...

Planers?

What the hell has a carpentry tool got to be responsible for?

A sticky door perhaps?

Maybe a slightly uneven shelf?

Obviously the old saying that a bad worman always blames his tools still holds true.

Stan Lee said...

Worman?

That'll teach me to take the piss out of other people's spelling.

Aaagh!

Anonymous said...

Hey,nice blog!!! I found a place where you can make an extra $800 or more a month. I do it part time and make a lot more than that. It is definitely worth a visit! You can do it in your spare time and make good cash. Make Extra Cash>

Anonymous said...

Hey,nice blog!!! I found a place where you can make an extra $800 or more a month. I do it part time and make a lot more than that. It is definitely worth a visit! You can do it in your spare time and make good cash. Make Extra Cash>

russelldavies said...

Influence without responsibility.

That's what I love about planning.

Now, if we can shoot for power without responsibility we'll have everything.

Rob @ Cynic said...

Bad luck Russell - George Bush has cornered that part of the market already.

Rob Mortimer said...

Oh bloody hell, I posted about this on my blog too.

Ah well... I got a good point out of it at least. Time for the Rupert Murdoch esque 1 line apology on page 47.

Northern Planner said...

Hey Nice Blog! I found a place where you can influence at least 8 decisions a month! I do it full time and make a lot more than that. It is definitly worth a visit to the planning department.

Seriously though, planners can only influence decisions,so it's only fair that the decision makers bear the brunt.It's hard to constantly have to persuade but it doesn't half keep you on your toes.

Northern Planner said...

I'm not very good at carpentry or spelling. Good job I'm a planner, mind you, I'm not too good at at that either.....

Simon Law said...

As the planner on 3, working with your friend, this upset me for a few minutes too.

If you read the whole article, they clearly say that 3 has denied the rumour as 'rumour and speculation' or something like that (I haven't got it in front of me now) - so, they set up a premise in the headline and do nothing to prove it. (You'd never get that from a planner, would you!)

However, it's just part of a more depressing truth - the more you know about any given story, the more you realise that reporting is sensationalised fact-fiction at best. Very little we read is absolutely correct.

Damn them all!

Cynical Rob said...

I am sure Nick, planning patriarch at BBH, would be very interested to hear your view on Planners 'irresponsibility' :)

You're being Dennis Wise again aren't you Scamp!

Cynical Rob said...

Can I just point out that the Rob @ cynic who wrote ...

"Bad luck Russell - George Bush has cornered that part of the market already"

... actually wasn't me ...

Who the hell would want to pretend to be me in the first place???

The bit about Nick was me though :)