Monday, November 05, 2007

Weird Shit

As well as keeping abreast of other ads, movies, magazines etc I think it's important that creatives look at a healthy dose of weird shit. By that I mean stuff which you don't know what it's for, or maybe even what it is... but it's just generally good to have in there.

That's what I like about a new (to me) blog called Bad Banana.

The writer classes his content as: "Ideas, inspiration, ephemera."

Here's an example.




This is an installation for the Deutsche Guggenheim done by New York artist Cai Guo-Qiang in 2006. The piece, entitled Head On, involved 99 life-sized wolves entering a doorway and flying across the room before hitting a glass wall.

Weird but good, in my view.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, inspiration from art is great.
Just don't steal from it.
I mean you Juan.

Angus said...

That's awesome.

Waldemar said...

great stuff. but ads inbetween the art? i hope their not mistaken advertising for art, omg

Anonymous said...

he ripped that off from my "leaping wolf in stop motion" double page spread for nike air!

schnauss in the hous said...

I know nothing about advertising and I am not a designer. I am an artist. This is an important distinction. Have you ever thought about the word 'Design'. On one level it speaks to considered esthetic choice - but if you change the accent on the syllables it says something entirely different. Instead of design, pronounce it de-sign. To de-sign is to remove the sign. The sign is the most basic form of graphic communication. So to de-sign means to remove communication. If you remove communication from design what is left? Art. The highest order of modern marketing is invisibility which relies on non-communicative communication. So if design is about removing communication and removing communication equals art then art equals modern marketing. I am an artist.

flo Heiss said...

Hey, check this for more great art inspriation:
http://www.vvork.com

Still waiting for an ad agency dong a Matthew Barney. WCRS Jellyfish Cowboy 3G ad came close...