Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Advertising Works, Unfortunately

Despite the huge quantities of my life I've spent creating adverts, all the speeches I've given to creative directors... to clients... I had never been able to silence a nagging doubt at the back of my mind... does advertising actually work?

Until now.

Yesterday I was watching TV with my 3 year old daughter.

When an advert for 'Cheestrings' came on, she turned to me and announced: "Daddy, we need Cheestrings."

There it was, the 'desired consumer response' you see on the brief. It was instant. It was sincere. It was desperate.

Of course, as adults we learn to hide it. Or internalise it. But it's still there.

I think...

Does anyone else have secret doubts over whether what we do actually works?

4 comments:

Maulleigh said...

I need Cheesestrings. Now.

writer said...

I hope you gave her some Cheestrings. In moderation.

Scamp said...

Of course. And I had some too. they're not that bad, actually

Anonymous said...

pizza adverts make me want it if i see the cheese all stringy...does that help?