Wednesday, March 07, 2007

David Beckham - Emotion In Advertising


The new adidas David Beckham ad broke last night. I think it's great.

Why? Because he's not afraid to show his emotions.

Nothing's more powerful than genuine emotion (or harder to elicit from sports stars - hats off to 180 Amsterdam for getting it).

Makes me wonder why we don't use emotion more. After all, most purchasing decisions are emotionally not rationally driven. David Bonney is building up a collection of sad/ emotional ads. Maybe that will help.

P.S. the last time I got a bit emotional myself was... earlier this morning, when I watched an entire ad break from 1982 over at FishNChimps. Oh, the nostalgia. Worth visiting. Chimpy writes a nice commentary on it too.

7 comments:

helen said...

I like a good bit of emotion too. Men and their emotions are particularly powerful.

fredrik sarnblad said...

Yeah...it feels genuine and you really empathize with Beckham watching this commercial. A life without emotions is no life at all.

Real men cry. That’s for sure.

And I'm not just saying that because I'm such a wimp myself.

writer said...

I just wanted to smack him across the face.

Cleaver said...

My pet hate is the assumption that displaying emotion is the same thing as evoking emotion.

It leads to all sorts of terrible, melodramatic stuff.

I call it "The Nickelback Fallacy".

What makes this ad work is the understatement, a good bit of which is down to Dave's sqeaky pipes.

They're not exactly going to drown you in gravitas.

Helen said...

I meant to add, it's his cheeky little smile at the end that really gets me

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm in a vey small minority here but I find the ad boring. It could have been much more powerful and seen with all the other ads in the campaign (jonah Lomu etc) the executions are just too similar. It feels like the same idea done many times

adboy said...

Anyone ever seen an average ad break in the States? 100% nauseating, crawling, emotion dripping from every frame. OK, this one is a tad more 'honest', shall we say, but I think if there were half a dozen like it in the average evening's viewing we'd all be hurling by bedtime.