Monday, July 13, 2015

Advertising Haiku


For anyone who doesn't know, a haiku is a three-line poem of 5 syllables/ 7 syllables/ 5 syllables.

The acknowledged master of the form was Matsuo Basho (1644-1694), whose most famous haiku (titled 'Old Pond') goes like this:
old pond . . .
a frog leaps in
water's sound
Not terrible. But imagine if he'd been writing haikus about a subject as exciting as advertising?

My old friend McDermott (a suit) once wrote one called 'The Account Executive':

Remember to smile.
Give 'em the ol' shuck and jive.
You have people skills.

My effort:
I got a new brief;
It said: "Wanted. Big idea."
Thank God for YouTube.
(It's always nicer to be self-deprecating than to slag other people off, I feel).

And yes, I do acknowledge that mine is pretty shit.

So let's hear yours. 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agency gets brief
Planner sits on it for month
Leaving me two days.

Anonymous said...

Capitalism
Thank you for my salary
Now let me make art

Anonymous said...

I had ideas once.
Ideas that would change the world.
Talking cheese will sell.

Anonymous said...

Old man creative
Every shoot is abroad
Somewhere with cheap whores

Anonymous said...

Radvertising is
Not all it's cracked up to be
Why do we do it?

Anonymous said...

What's the big idea?
Said the client to myself.
Videos of cats.

Anonymous said...

Nothing sells as much
as a pair of breasts aside
your clients' product

Anonymous said...

Fancy poem styles
do not a good idea make.
it's just a technique.

Anonymous said...

Art and words combined
makes for good advertising.
Have I missed something?

Anonymous said...

This client is a joke
He's talking outta his ass
Wait, we're on mute right?

Anonymous said...

Do you have lions?
No, I do not have any.
Ok, thanks. Goodbye.

Anonymous said...

Here's a whole bunch of 'em, dedicated to all the indescribable joys of shitty SEO copywriting:

http://www.bestadsontv.com/ad/69369/Crazy-Like-a-Fox-Ode-to-a-Google-Web-Bot

Anonymous said...

Brief to agency.
We love it but with changes.
Seven months later.

Anonymous said...

Let's update Facebook
to say nothing really new
about anything.

Anonymous said...

It's a bronze right now.
But we could make a gold.
Fuck it, it's Friday.

Anonymous said...

No time for the work
Or to see my cute girlfriend
Or even to poo.

Anonymous said...

Where is my logo?
It's in the corner; there.
Please make it bigger.