Monday, October 13, 2014

Don't Care About Grammar? Stop Reading.


There is a Facebook group called 'If You Don't Know The Difference Between You're And Your, You Deserve To Die.'

Quite amusing. Although personally, I don't get too wound up about grammar. It's far more important to be saying something interesting than to be saying something correctly.

In fact, I don't believe there even is such a thing as correct and incorrect usage. Not really.

However, I'm making an exception for the new trend towards using initial caps for every word in advertising headlines. This has to stop. 

Immediately, please.






5 comments:

Tim said...

I haven't yet made up my mind if I agree with your points. But I would definitely appreciate a mobile template running your blog. For. Smaller. Screens.

Kenneth Gordon said...

I'm sorry Simon but I don't like people giving excuses for poor grammar. It is difficult to say something interesting if your grammar are not correct.

As for title case in headlines. That's What Title Case Was Invented for, Was It Not?

Anonymous said...

Hey Simon. That isn't a 'new' trend. If you look through a really old One Show annual (say from the 90's) they used to do that cap-letter-on-each-word thing constantly (in all those long copy ads). Even back then as a student I used to wonder why too. My theory was, at the time, letter and word spacing was super tight, so they needed to do it so you could make out the start of each word.

Steve said...

"Don't Care About Grammar? Stop Reading."
Ironically, all the titles of your posts are structured the same way.

Scamp said...

Yes. It's approaching Alanis Morisette levels of irony, isn't it?