Sunday, July 08, 2012

So, where were we?

Ah yes, I've moved to Australia.

And I like it here - I like it a lot.

You can't beat the weather, and the advertising's not bad either. There may be only 22 million people in the country, and another 4.5 million in New Zealand, compared to hundreds of millions in Europe, hundreds of millions in the US, and bajillions in Asia… but, Australasia punches way above its weight in world advertising (i.e. Cannes) terms.

So I left BBH - after which they've obviously enjoyed their most successful period ever - and came out here to be Deputy ECD at DDB Sydney, but I've now set up my own thing. Yes, Scamp has become an agency. Well, that's putting it rather grandly. At the moment, it's just me and a layout pad. So I'm more of a creative independent than an ad agency at this point, but in the future... who knows? I've registered Scamp Creative Pty Ltd as a company, I have a new logo (see above), I've opened a business bank account… heck, I'm feeling dangerous!

If you want me to work on something, do get in touch. I have two children, and they always need shoes, and food, and stuff like that. My email is simon dot veksner at gmail dot com. If you would like to see my portfolio, it's at simonveksner.com.

And what else have I been up to? The main thing is, I'm writing another book. It's for Laurence King, the same people who published How To Make It As An Advertising Creative, and this one's going to be called 100 Ideas That Changed Advertising. It'll be another in a very successful series they have which also includes 100 Ideas That Changed Graphic Design, 100 Ideas That Changed Architecture… you get the picture. Anyway, these books are great. Bite-size chapters (because there are 100 of them!) with lots of pictures. And they're not just sold in boring old bookshops, but also in fun places like Urban Outfitters, where the young people go.

Hopefully there's still a role for advertising books in 2012. Another good one has come out recently, called Advertising For People Who Don't Like Advertising, by the KesselsKramer people. They just contacted me to do an interview, probably in the hope I'd plug their book. Mission accomplished! It's a well-deserved plug though. The book looks great.

As you can see, I am re-starting Scamp. It's not going to be like before, though. I won't be doing a daily post of latest ads, news and gossip. There are others who are doing that extremely well - principally Ben Kay in the UK and Campaign Brief here in Australia. I am going to post once a week, an in-depth piece about some aspect of advertising and creativity, which will hopefully go up every Sunday night.

While I've been away, a lot seems to have changed in the blogosphere. Of the blogs I used to have on my link list, it looks like American Copywriter, Dan Germain, Diablogue, Gwen Yip, Happy Thought, JP and Tem, Minds For Rent, Not Voodoo, The Barry And Troy Show, The Ideas Brothers, 10 Ad, Ad Hunt, Ad Arena, Advertising for Peanuts, DigiCynic, Meme Huffer, Planning For Fun, Punk Planning, The Staufenberger Repository, Client Side, Creative in Kansas City, Digital Stuffing, Experience Curve, FishNChimps, Interactive Marketing Trends, Knitware, Nitmesh, and Room 116 have ceased trading. Maybe they found something better to do with their time. I hope they did.

Then again, Adland, AdScam, Brand DNA, Campaign Brief, Copyranter, Creative in London, Creativity_Unbound, Dave Trott, Hey Whipple, If This Is A Blog Then What's Christmas, Logic + Emotion, Lolly And Nat's Whipple Squeezer, Real Men Write Long Copy, Rubbishcorp, Sell! Sell!, The Toad Stool, Where's My Jetpack, Welcome To Optimism, Ads of the World, Adverbox, Advertising/Design Goodness, Bannerblog, Best Ads On TV, David Reviews, Scary Ideas, The Inspiration Room, ViralBlog, Adliterate, Faris, Hee-Haw Marketing, Jaffe Juice, Life Moves Pretty Fast, Living Brands, Northern Planner, Only Dead Fish, Russell Davies, The Communications Room, Adbusters, B3ta, Bad Banana, It's Nice That, Notcot, PostSecret, VVork, Gapingvoid, Marketing Unleashed, Tom Fishburne, AdForum, AdFreak, AdPulp, AdRants, Adverblog, Agency Spy, Beyond Madison Avenue, Brand Republic, BrandFlakes for Breakfast, Coloribus, Crackunit, Creative Review, Creativity Online, Hidden Persuader, IHaveAnIdea, Joe La Pompe, Spinning Around, The Ad Contrarian, and The Denver Egotist are still going. Hurrah! If you can think of any new ones I should stick up, please let me know.

Meanwhile, it seems everyone has moved to Typepad. Is that good? And what about Twitter? Do I need to announce each Scamp post on Twitter also, or should I reserve that medium for a separate stream of pithy musings? So many questions.

Anyway, that's it for the re-introduction.

It's good to be back.

30 comments:

Kirsty said...

Welcome back. And welcome down under.

Twitter for separate musings I think - I'm so tired of social media 'overlaps'.

EugenS said...

Ha ha, I'm so glad I didn't remove the rss feed when you announced you were closing scamp. Welcome back, can't wait to read your pieces again. When is your new book going to the press? I enjoyed the first one, and I've recommended it to people who were just starting in advertising, even though some of the stuff was very UK centric and wouldn't apply to other countries. Good luck with your startup, maybe it'll grow into an independent agency. Btw, what do you make of BBH's sale to Publicis?

Scamp said...

Hi Eugen, thanks for the kind words. My new book won't be out for at least another year. I still have another six months of writing to do, then the design takes a while, the printing...

I think BBH's sale to Publicis is great news for all concerned. Publicis is getting the other half of an agency that is not only brilliant, but commercially successful too. And the partners of BBH are finally realising the rest of the value which they created - and fully deserve - and are doing so in the knowledge that they are selling to a holding company which has already proved to be a great respecter of the BBH culture.

Chris said...

It is a good spot to live in and even though down under is a bit small, especially Sydney and Melbourne always have interesting things to offer and a less boring lifestyle.

Great to see that you will be back posting (even though a different field of interest). I always followed your blog and never really got a foot in the door of the industry, yet followed your blog with great anticipation. Enjoy Sydney and maybe one day you will end up with a CV of mine on your agency's desk ;)

James Bickerton said...

Good luck from Greece.
Looking forward to reading this again and like Eugene said I'm glad I didn't decommission the rss feed.

MattyG said...

Look forward to checking in each Monday. Also loving the cat-motif in your new logo. +1 Internets to you.

Matty G

Waldemar Wegelin said...

Yay, glad you're back Simon. Thanks for the mention and I'm very curious about the weekly deep thinking. Greetings from Boulder.

Duncan Shields said...

Great that scamp is back - I look forward to the weekly postings and hope you're up for a beer soon!

sarah said...

So glad to see you back - I loved reading your blog when I worked in London and look forward to your ruminations on the Oz ad industry now I work over here too.
Cheers,
S

Lubomir said...

Welcome (excited)

We’ve missed you (with Eastern European accent)

You were my first ad blog (nostalgic), and since you left us (slightly reproachfully) I stopped reading the others... with the exception of Ben Kay (guilty)... he is quite good.

Reinvent it for us. Good Luck (exclamation)

rubbishcorp said...

Welcome back fella. I'm in NZ now, so perhaps a cold beer when I'm next in Sydney...

adam said...

a warm welcome back scampy from sunny london.

Mister Gash said...

SV

Adam is kidding by the way. The summer here is totally shit - in case no-one else has told you.

Welcome back. Looking forward to reading your future posts.

Now then. When can I come in and show you some work...?!

Good luck with Scamp Enterprises.

George said...

Welcome back!

copyranter said...

Huzzah!

Adam Tucker said...

Hi Simon, it's good to have you back. I've often directed young creatives to your blog, and in particular, 'Comments' (26/2009) as it still makes me chuckle. Smiley winky face made of type.

jerome courtial said...

haha, yes I have find better things to do, sort of!
Hope all goes well for you, best of luck, I've done exactly that for the last 2 years (being independent), its been great.
Jerome (rip digicynic)

john p woods said...

I can't wait for you to make disparaging/encouraging remarks yet again about advertising and those that are in it or not as the case maybe.

Murdoch said...

Welcome back scamp! Freedom of expressing one's opinion at last I hope. [rest of comment deleted for legal reasons. Rather ironic really. Sorry Murdoch! - Scamp]

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. I used to read your blog (and contributed to it once) when I worked in Cardiff. Now I'm just down the road in NZ. Interested to see there's nothing in your portfolio from Sydney as far as I could see? Good luck, cheers Phil.

Murdoch said...

Scamp, yes very ironic, I hope they haven't paid you off too :)

Scamp said...

Don't worry, no one is paying me. Quite literally.

Guy said...

"If you can think of any new ones I should stick up, please let me know."

I always find George Tannenbaum's blog provides a good read:

http://adaged.blogspot.co.uk/

Sell! Sell! said...

Scampi!
It's great to have you back.
How are the prawns down there by the way, we've heard they're MASSIVE?

Yep, Adaged is well worth a regular read.

faris said...

OOOHEEE! look who's down under ;)

Nice mate have fun!

welcome back. we missed you etc.

Alan Wolk said...

Dude! You are back!

I hear Sydney's amazing, and yeah, sunshine and warmth is a lot better than clouds and cold.

I'm doing/writing about the TV industry now and all the incredible changes that are going on there as the web and television converge and social TV becomes a force.

But glad to hear all is well and that you are blogging again.

neilc said...

Nice to have you back and thanks for noting that Welcome to Optimism is still around.

Duncan said...

Welcome back to the bloggersphere Simon! I'm working 3 hours away from Sydney so will try and catch up in person some time soon. Thanks for including The Inspiration Room in the link bait. Duncan

William said...

Hey Scamp. Glad you're back. I still blog as you know. Just not about advertising.

Laurence King seem like a nice bunch. They are publishing a lot of books about advertising. Amazing that there is a market.

Michelle said...

Could you add Digital Love? :) Heaps of digital/tech/social/advertising goodies.

http://itsdigitallove.com/